Not only son has 'I've been dreaming of this dish' request. Dear daughter has her favourites and this is one of them....Waldorf Salad.
It is almost a tradition for us to have it with Christmas or New Year.dinner.
It doesn't require fancy ingredients or involve any cooking at all which is a blessing during the festive days. It can be prepared 1 or 2 days ahead.
I have seen few versions such as adding grapes, chicken breasts or bacon. Well, one may go the extra step of making mayonaise for the dressing but I would not involved cooking the celery, pan roasting the walnuts and bacon.
We like ours simple and humble.
1 root celery (500-750gm)
1 sour crunchy apple
Juice from 2 lemons
1 can pineapples
1 handful walnuts
1 tsp sugar or honey
salt & pepper
1. Core apple and shred finely. Toss with lemon juice.
2. Shred root celery finely, tossing in the apple with lemon juice in a large bowl imediately to prevent browning
3. Add pineapple cubes with juice. Cut the pineapple cubes smaller if necessary.
4. Reserve 5-6 halved walnuts for garnish and crush the rest coarsely.
5. Add mayonaise, sugar or honey, walnuts, salt and pepper and toss.
6. Serve with goose liver pate or with cold roast beef slices.