This is a great way to cure Salmon and I have been doing it for years.
Usually, a regular size filet of about 600g - 1kg will do for a family of 4. If fresh dill is not available, you may omit. What you need are very basic - fish, salt, sugar and pepper and last but not least, appetite !
1 salmon filet (1 kg) with skin intact
1 tbsp sugar
2 heap tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp fresh coarsely grounded black and white peppercorns
(optional : fresh or dried dill)
1. Clean/wipe the filet clean of scales with a kitchen towel.
2. Run your fingers through the filet and remove any bones with a tweezer.
3. Mix thoroughly together sugar, salt, pepper (and dill).
4. You need a deep dish big enough to fit the whole piece of filet.
5. Sprinkle a teaspoon mixed spices on the bottom of dish.
6. Place filet skin side down onto the spices.
7. Sprinkle the rest of spices evenly on top of filet.
8. Cover with foil and place in refrigerator for 72 hours.No turning needed.
9. Before serving, discard any liquid which you find on bottom of dish.Using a tea towel, wipe the filet dry and at same time removing the marinate spices..
10. Sprinkle more fresh ground pepper and fresh dill on filet.
11. Using a filet knife, slice the filet thinly and serve.
With capers and thinly sliced onions,
sliced hard boiled eggs,
and rye breads.