Tong Sui: means sugar water in cantonese.
I have tried to explain to the europeans what TongSui means. It's eaten between meals but sometimes served as a dessert but it's not cold. It sometimes is quite heavy because it contains root vegetables but it is not part of main meal.
I've given up explaining now.
More info you can find in Wikipedia.
Some people add rose essence, some just plain sugar and water. I prefer mine with coconut milk. And if that is not available, I would use cream.
The perfect thing for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 200 ml water
- 3 small bananas
- 250 gm sweet potato
- 250 gm tapioca
- 2 tbsp sago/tapioca pearls soaked in 1 cup of water
- sugar or palm sugar to taste
- Clean and cut sweet potato and tapioca into 3 cm cubes.
- Place potato, tapioca and water, cook on medium heat till soft.
- Add coconut milk and sago and simmer gently till sago is clear.
- Add sugar/palm sugar to taste.