Translate (Bitte diese Google-"Übersetzungen" mit Vorsicht genießen!)

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Apple Sauce (Apfel-Kompott)

Almost every week, I would go to the fresh market to pick up 4-5 kgs of apples. It doesn’t matter which variety. It’s usually a mixture of Jonah Gold, Fuji, Elster which are grown in our region. Each morning I would throw 2 or 3 apples plus 5-6 sticks of carrots into the juicer and Voila!, my vitamine fix for the day... I intend to live well over hundred.

Today, I realised soon it would be apple season and I still have 5 kgs of apples from last year. Decided to turn them into apple sauce as I have a longing for a special pasta dish served with apple sauce. I'm not kidding - Pasta with apple sauce!! I'm sure KP is longing for this too :-D

But first, the apple sauce.

Absolutely simple and straight forward:

Ingredients

  • 4 kg apples (any sort of apples)
  • Juice from 1 lemon to prevent browning.
  • Sugar to your taste (optional)

Method

I did not add any sugar into mine. But if you're using fall apples, you might need some.

  • Wash, slice/chop up your apples into 4-6 piece chunks.
  • Remove any brown spots or anything you don’t want in your apple sauce.
  • Leave everything else on.
  • Read here http://www.penningsorchard.com/benefits.html.
  • Place in a deep pan.
  • Add a stick of cinnamon if you like.
  • Add 1 lemon juice to preserve the colour and ½ cup of water to kickstart the cooking process...
  • Turn on heat low and cook. Stir occasionally. It may take 30 minutes or longer, depending on the amount/volume of apples you have.
  • Once the apples turn mushy, it is ready.
  • Work the sauce with a food mill (Flotto Lotto) to remove the skin.
  • I simply fish them out with a fork as I like mine a bit chunky.
  • Return the sauce into the pan.
  • Add sugar if you wish.
  • Cook again at medium temperature.
  • When it starts to bubble, turn off heat and pour sauce into twist-off glass jars and seal.
  • Immediately set the jars upside down for 15 minutes.
  • Once it is cooled, it will be air-tight.
  • If there is no vacuum, the sauce should be consumed within a week.
  • Store the jars in a cool dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment