Oranges brighten up a cold winter. Not only do they brighten up a home, you can have them after each meal, squeeze them for juice, grated zest for cakes and cookies. The tangy flavour is unmistakeable.
It is so special when food brings back memories and when I read through this recipe with 'boiled oranges', I started reminiscing of childhood times when I was coughing out my lungs. Medications didn't seem to work. Finally, oranges were used. I can't remember who gave or recommended this cure but it worked. Simply boil 1 or 2 oranges in some water till soft, squeeze out the juice, mix the warm juice with honey and drink.
This a dense and moist cake which can keep for a week. Not very sweet, buttery, orangey......awesome !!
The colour would have been better if blood orange is used. I highly recommend organic orange for this recipe because you are eating the entire orange. If you have no other choice, wash the orange with hot water before you boil it.
This recipe is good for 2 x18cm baking pan.
2 Valencia oranges
Boil 1 cup water in a pan. Add oranges and boil at low heat (approximately 20 mins.) till oranges are soft. Discard water and let cool.
Puree whole oranges (remove pits) in a food processor till fine.
If you're afraid that it might be too bitter, remove the white part under the orange skin with a sharp knife before puree.
150g plain flour (sieved)
180g fine sugar
1 tsp baking powder
100g almond meal/flour
6 eggs (well beaten)
separate the white and yolks and whip separately for a softer texture
1. Preheat oven at 180°C
2. Cream butter, sugar and salt till light.
3. Sieve flour and baking powder together.
4. Fold in almond flour/meal and orange paste to 1/3 of eggs, blend well. If eggs are separated, blend mixture to egg yolks only.
Fold in stiffpeak eggwhite at end of procedure.
5. Add flour and almond+ egg+oranges alternately to buttercream, blend well.
6. Pour batter into pan and bake for about 30-45 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool, brush with orange marmalade. Enjoy !
Make a mousse topping (vanilla or flavour to your liking) and add fruits for a pimped cake.