I did some tweeking to the measures of ingredients. 125 gm of xxxx is too odd so I round it up 150 gm. The fresh cheese I used has relatively high moisture content. Result - moist, light, buttery, silky cake.
A real keeper !!
This is not a project for beginners. It takes patience and time but the best things come to those who wait. Read the steps/instructions at least twice before you start.
You must know your oven.
I used plain simple 'All purpose flour'.
All purpose fine sugar - not granulated sugar.
Be sure to whip te egg whites to soft peaks because that is basically the backbone which prevents the cake from collapsing.
The egg yolks were also whipped but not to creamy stage.
- 100 ml fresh milk
- 100 gm butter
- 300 gm fresh cheese (not Philly)
- 50 gm allpurpose flour
- 50 gm cornflour
- 7 eggs (size S-40gm)separared
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (Weinsteinpulver)
- 120 gm sugar (100g sugar was not sweet enough, 150g was too sweet. Adjust to your liking)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 small or 1 large loaf pan (lined)
2 small loaf pans or 1 large loaf pan. I lined only the bottom of pan with paper.
- Preheat oven at 180°C and set Bain Marie/waterbath at lower case.
- Sieve flour and cornflour together.
- Place milk and butter in a pan. Warm up at medium temperature till butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir till mixture is smooth. It should be at body temperature at this stage.
- Whisk eggyolks slightly and fold into cheese mixture.
- Gently fold in flours till smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk eggwhites till foamy.
- Add sugar and cream of tartar (Weinsteinpulver)and whisk till soft peaks.
- Divide eggwhites into 2 portions. . Gently fold/work eggwhites into cheese mixture. Once the first portion is well blended, fold in the second portion. Pour into lined pan/s .
- Turn oven temperature down to 160°C and bake cake for 90 mins. Temperature may vary, depending on individual oven.
- After 15 mins of baking, if surface of cake starts to take colour, turn temperature down to 150°C and continue baking till done.
- Do not remove cake from oven immediately.
- Switch off oven and leave cake in oven for 10 minutes. Do not open the oven door.
- Remove cake from oven and leave cake in pan to cool.
- Once cooled, lift cake out of pan.
- Chill in refrigerator.
- Remove lining paper before serving.